The PROMOTIC system, since version 8, allows to develop and run PROMOTIC applications without the licence key
for free, i.e. as a freeware
. The installation package of the PROMOTIC system is identical for both commercial and freeware users – it is free for download (see www.promotic.eu/en/promotic/download/download.htm
). All communication drivers and interfaces available in the full version are alsou available in the freeware mode. The limitation of the freeware mode
is the maximum application size and number of graphic panels (see below).
is for example suitable for:
- Home use:
- Centralized control panels for "Intelligent houses".
- Monitoring and control of heating, air conditioning, security systems, ...
- Software tool providing the possibility to create self designed applications to everybody interested in contemporary monitoring and control technologies.
- Industrial use:
- Freeware supporting software for automation hardware (embedded systems, industrial control panels, PLCs, heat meters, etc.).
- Design of simple industrial applications.
- Hardware and communication testing platform.
PmDevFree - Free development environment
Developing the application without the HW/SW licence key has just one limitation: the size of the application must be up to 100 variables. For developing applications exceeding the limit, it is necessary to buy the PmDev - PROMOTIC development environment licence
While developing the application using the PmDevFree, the application can also be launched in a runtime. The runtime mode then depends on the setting of the Runtime regime without the licence key configurator:
- mode either "RtFree1 - free runtime, application up to 30 variables and 10 graphic panels, START INTO THE DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT" or "RtFree2 - free runtime, application up to 30 variables and 10 graphic panels, START INTO RUNTIME (start into development environment by holding the <Shift> key)": developing free applications.
- mode "RtForDevFree - runtime for testing the applications up to 100 variables"
: the developed application can be launched for testing and tuning. The application can be then runned permanently after buying the PmRtLite
PmRtFree - Free runtime licence
The PROMOTIC application with the size up to 30 variables and 10 graphic panels can be runned with no time limit even without the HW/SW licence key.
- Only one PROMOTIC application can be launched on one PC.
- The applications running on multiple PC cannot communicate with each other via the XML communication
- When the PROMOTIC application acts as a web server, 2 web clients PmWebClient
access is allowed.
Variables that are counted into the total application size are in objects PmData, PmOpcClientData, PmTrend, PmCommData, PmCommMsg, in obsolete objects PmNumber and PmString and in ExtSubVar data extension.
The number of application variables expresses the extent and complexity of the application. The total number of application variables is the sum of all defined data variables of the application. According to the number of the variables, the licence price is then defined. See Basic runtime licenses and Price list .
The information about current application size can be found in the application editor, in the root object (in the PmRoot object), in the "Object size and licence(s)" configurator.