Main PROMOTIC versions overview
The following description provides information regarding the main PROMOTIC versions. There are some warning concerning the upgrades from lower to upper versions of the system, e.g. when some obsolete functions are no longer present in newer versions, or some OS support has been remowed.
Upgrades from older PROMOTIC versions to newer versions are free of charge during the period of 10 years since the key has been created. For additional info see PmUpgrade and PmUpgrade10.
Version: PROMOTIC 8
- This version has been released in: 2009
- This version is designed for folowing OS: Windows 10/8/7/Vista/XP/XPe
/2003-12Server. For versions older than Pm8.2.0
installed on OS Windows 10
and OS Windows 8
it is necessary to complete PROMOTIC HW Key
- The following OS is no longer supported: Windows 98/Me/2000
- An upgrade (i.e. transition from older to newer version) to PROMOTIC 8 can be done only from the PROMOTIC 7.5 version. If the upgrade is needed to be done from older version, it is necessary to go through the PROMOTIC 7.5 first.
Version: PROMOTIC 7
- This version has been released in: 2006
- This version is designed for folowing OS: Windows Vista/XP/2000/XPe/2003-8Server/98/Me
- The following OS is no longer supported: Windows 95/NT
- This version is available in two variations: for Unicode
and ANSII. The ANSII variation is relevant only for Windows 98/Me
- This version uses the ne Microsoft graphic library (GdiPlus), that displays the texts a little bit wider. After upgrading from older PROMOTIC version it is possible that the size of some texts in graphic panels will be slightly different than before.
The PROMOTIC version 7.5 (no matter if 7.5.0 or higher) is very important, because all currently running PROMOTIC applications (in case the upgrade to the PROMOTIC 8 version is wanted) will have to go through this version first. The version PROMOTIC 8 is able to work only with applications, that went through the version PROMOTIC 7.5. The main reason is, that version PROMOTIC 8 no longer contains agorithms for transforming very old applications.
The version PROMOTIC 8 no longer supports some very old (not offered for a very long time) technologies. Therefore in this version 7.5, there is a new item in the INFO system Warnings, that is displaying warnings regarding the usage of obsolete components in current application.
One additional item that is no longer available since version PROMOTIC 8 is the "MDI type main window". The main reason for that is the fact, that using the PmWorkspace object as a main window is positively much simpler, more general and practical than the "MDI window". If the application is using the "MDI" (all applications older than PROMOTIC 7), this fact will also be highlighted in the INFO item Warnings and the designer can simply transform his application in order to use the PmWorkspace main window.
Because the version PROMOTIC 8 no longer supports the obsolete saving formats, it is necessary for those who use Compound graphic items (these items are saved in independent files with *.pmi), to transform these items into version PROMOTIC 7.5.
Version: PROMOTIC 6
- This version has been released in: 2002
- This version is designed for folowing OS: Windows XP/2000/NT/95/98/Me
- this version is available only in ANSII coding, the Unicode
is not available.
Version: PROMOTIC 2000
- This version has been released in: 2000
- This version is designed for folowing OS: Windows 2000/NT/95/98/Me
Version: PROMOTIC 4
- This version has been released in: 1996
- This version is designed for folowing OS: Windows NT/95
- The following OS is no longer supported: DOS
Version: PROMOTIC DOS
- This version has been released in: 1991
- This version is designed for folowing OS: DOS