PP Data Binding of graphic item

This is the main technical forum for discussing problems that were encountered by users while developing PROMOTIC applications, and their possible solutions.

PP Data Binding of graphic item

Postby PaulW » Thu 11. Apr 2013 16:09:04

Hi, is it possible to use data binding to read the value of a graphic PmiText object?
I want to trend the value that is displayed by a PmiText object on a graphic?
Thanks,
Paul
PaulW

Re: PP Data Binding of graphic item

Postby Tomáš Bräuer » Fri 12. Apr 2013 12:23:07

Hi Paul, i am not sure what you exactly mean.
If you really want to trend a numeric value from the graphic item PmiText in an open panel, of course that's possible.

You need to set up a trend variable in PmTrend object (property page Data) and then you can read a value from PmiText and put it into this trend variable by a script. It's better to use script for reading value from PmiText and for writing into trend variable than data binding. Using data binding in a trend variable to read data from graphic item in an open panel is non efficient and dangerous. You have to cope with the fact, that panel can be open or closed, panel is a always open later then data bindings are setup from PmTrend, and other possible problems.
To tell the truth, it is not a recommended and good solution. Usually panel (graphic items) only serves as a view to data which exist in application tree (e.g. PmData) no matter if panel is open or not.

So in my opinion easier and more standard solution would be:
1) Create a new variable in PmData, which will hold the value
2) Create a new data extension Trend in a new variable, which will do all the stuff of trending the value
3) Create PmiText in PmPanel and connect it to a new variable in PmData by means of PP data bindings

Both solutions take 1 variable from a licence (PmFree 30 variables). The first one due to variable in PmTrend object. The second one due to variable in PmData object.
Tomáš Bräuer
Administrátor

Re: PP Data Binding of graphic item

Postby PaulW » Tue 16. Apr 2013 11:45:47

Thanks Tomas, I'll use your suggestion.
Regards,
Paul
PaulW

Return to I don't know how to...