In this chapter you will learn how to create Pma objects
in a hierarchical tree in the editor of Pma objects
(in the tree of Pma
objects). In the left part of the window
objects are being created, in the right part
the properties of selected object can be modified.
The right portion of the window contains configuration tabs
. Each tab includes a set of configurators
that can be used for alteration of corresponding object properties.
Exploring the preconfigured objects:
is represented by object or object group that are preset for a specific purpose. In the PROMOTIC system, you can find preconfigurations prepared for communication
, for database usage, and also complete panels
, for example for user management
, displaying trends, input windows, reports
The example of preconfigurations usage has been presented to you when you started to create the new application
- you have selected one of the predefined basic application (workspace) layouts.
The system has added following objects to your application.
You can see those objects in the left part of the screen:
object: Represents the root of your application. In the right part of the window you can modify many properties that refer to the application as a whole (e.g. language version of the application, password, etc.).
object: Represents the main application panel (object of the PmaPanel
type). Later on we will show you how to create and edit such panels.
object: This object (of the PmaWeb
type) works as Web server that provides the HTML and XML application pages.
object: It is the application workspace (object of the PmaWorkspace
type). On this desktop, the panels will be opened as default. Workspace is divided into two parts (frames): the upper frame for the toolbar (the "Toolbar"
object) and the bottom frame for panels. The workspace layout can be modified on the "Frames
There are some subobjects contained in this object:
- "About" object: A window for displaying the basic application info, for example application description, the supplier and the customer company, version of the PROMOTIC system, etc.
- "Toolbar" object: A "Toolbar" type window, that is displayed in the upper frame of the workspace (in the Workspace object). There are some basic control objects (buttons) preconfigured in this window.
Note:All these preconfigured objects can be modified or removed at any time.
Creating of a New Object:
Click by the right mouse button in the left part of the window above the PmaRoot
object (another walkthrough: in the PmaRoot
object press the "Insert"
button). From the menu select the "New object ..."
. In the Pma object preconfigurations
window go to the Basic
group and select the item "PmaFolder – Folder"
. In the PmaRoot
object will be created a new object of the PmaFolder
type with the default name "Folder"
. The editor offers immediately the possibility to rename the object. Rename it to "BoilerPlant"
. If you left the editing mode of the object name by mistake, then select the object and press the F2
key. This will lead you to the editing mode of the object name.
Note: Always use apposite and simple names of the objects. Don't create long names with spaces, diacritic or special characters.
object is a very simle object that groups other objects. It is used mainly for aplication hierechization
, i.e. grouping the application objects into logical subgroups. All items related to our boiler plant will be grouped in such object (folder).
Note: If you want to remove an Pmg object, then select it in the tree and press the delete key.
Your boiler plant may contain multiple boilers. Therefore, create a new PmaFolder
type object, the same way as you did before. But now create it in the "BoilerPlant" object (one level lower) and name it "Boiler1"
. In this phase it is sufficient for you to create just one such object. The objects "Boiler2", etc. can be created easily afterwards by copying or prototyping, once the "Boiler1" object is filled with corresponding content. In the "Boiler1" object, create a new object of the PmaData
type – Data" and name it "Data"
object is used for storing data values (variables - objects of the PmVar
type). In the right part of the window, on the "Data
" tab, add three variables into this object: Press the " > New variable (empty)
" button and create one variable named "Temperature"
of the Single
type. Next create the second variable the same way, named "Power"
and use the same data type. and then create the third variable named "Status
" of the Byte type.
Confirm changes by pressing the button
The value data type
specifies the category of such value. The value itself may not be reprsented only by numbers. The value may also contain text, date, object, etc. The PROMOTIC system uses data types defined by Visual Basic language
For numeric values
, there are severa data types available:
- Byte data type is for small non-negative integers, the range can be only in the integer interval from 0 to 255 (1 byte information).
- Integer data type is for ordinary integers in the range from –32768 to +32767 (2 bytes information).
- Long data type is for very large integers in the range from –big to +big, where "big" is approx. 2 billions (4 bytes information).
- Single data type is for common real numbers (i.e. numbers with a decimal point) in the range approx. from –1.0e38 to +1.0e38 (4 bytes information).
- Double data type is for very large real numbers in the range approx. from –1.0e308 to +1.0e308 (8 bytes information).
There is only one data type for logical values true
- Boolean data type with the true and false values (1 byte information not 1 bit, false is 0 numericaly, but beware: true is a non-zero value, i.e. any number but zero 0).
There is one data type for text values
- String data type is for texts with maximum length of 2 billions of characters.
There is one data type for date type values
- Date data type holds the value of date and time, i.e. year, month, day, hour, minute and second (8 bytes information)
There is one data type for an object
- Object data type represents "a pointer" (a reference) to an existing object somewhere.
In adition to described data types,there is one superior data type Variant
, that dynamicaly adapts its data type according to the stored value.
Now you have created the internal structure of the application (static part) and filled in the object tree of the application. The structure of the application is very simple so far.
Note: The object tree may not be completely visible all the time. Folding/unfolding of the objects in the tree can be done by clicking the + / - to the left of the object name (or by pressing the + / - keys).