Recommended procedure of Internet Explorer configuration for the Web client
Recommended procedure, that has been tested and is working on almost all OS Windows
1. Launch the PROMOTIC Web application on the server (it can be, for example, the PROMOTIC demo
3. Run the IE on the Web client: Run as administrator in IE (in OS Windows XP as user with administrator rights).
4. Go to "Tools/Internet Properties/ the Security page" for the Internet zone enter "User level". Then use the slider or combo box to set the lowest security setting possible and confirm.
5. Enter the PROMOTIC server addres into the IE, for example http://192.168.0.23:82 (the port number is defined after the colon - if the default port 80 is to be used then it does not need to be defined).
6. Select the panel that has the trendviewer with header (that one contains all three activeX items). The IE will promt you by a yellow slat on the upper side. Do the right mouse button click there and allow (3x) all the activeX items to be displayed in the browser.
7. Close the IE. Re-launch the IE (as administrator). Repeat step 3 and move the security slider or combo to original position.
8. Close IE. Re-launch IE (as regular user). Continue by steps 4. and 5. From this moment all activeX items should be displayed correctly.
If the Web client is running on the Web server, the procedure is similar, bat in step 4 it is necessary to enter "User level" for the "Intranet" zone. And in step 5 enter the address http://127.0.0.1:82 or http://localhost:82.
The IE administrator mode is activated by the IE link (icon) while pressing the right mouse button and selecting Run as administrator from the context menu.
If the server computer name is entered into the IE address row, then the security settings of Internet options / Security / and "Local intranet" are used. If the TCP-IP address is entered, then the security settingspak of "Internet" are used.
Problems - recommended settings
Starting the active content from files
cannot directly read and display files from disc. For example direct viewing of *.chm
files does not work.
In the IE settings it is necessary to "enable active scripting" and to "Allow active content run in files on My Computer". It is usually placed on the page "Internet Options/Advanced" or "Internet Options/Security".
When viewing the Web panel
with bigger raster images (bmp, jpg, gif, png
..) flickering of this images
can happen on dynamic changes (in case the cursor moves over the image).
uncheck the setting "Internet Options / Advanced / Multimedia / Enable Image Toolbar" in the Internet Explorer.
The videos and animations are not displayed
In the IE
browser, the PmiWAnimate
graphic items are not displayed.
In the "Security settings" window set the item "Display on webpage not using external media player, video or animations" to enabled.
Antivirus programs on Web clients
The antivirus and antispyware programs use their modules (Web protection, communication...) to monitor the Web ant network communication on the client. It can affect and very often affects the fluency of the communication between the PROMOTIC Web server and the Web client browser.
Very often, these programs focus their activity to monitor the 80 port (or 8080 port). In such case it is handy to change the communicatioin port in the Port TCP/IP configurator and run the PROMOTIC Web application on a different port than the default 80.
If the network administrator does not allow the application to be operated on different port, then it is necessary to configure the antivirus software in order to use an exception for monitoring the server.